JCS Pandemic Safe Schools Operations Plan
As Jefferson County Schools prepares to welcome back thousands of children into our halls, we want to thank every member of our community for their hard work, dedication, and support of our students. Together we successfully navigated a year of significant challenge, and we are confident that we will do so again.
A key component of that success was our diligence in creating a comprehensive safety plan for our staff and students. Once again, we have worked collaboratively with the WV Department of Education (WVDE), the WV Department of Health and Human Services (WVDHHR), and the Jefferson County Health Department (JCHD) to develop the JCS Pandemic Safe Schools Operations Plan - August 2021. As conditions have fluctuated, we have modified our plan and will continue to do so as we ensure the safety of our students and staff.
The following mitigation strategies for safety will be in place at the start of the 2021-2022 school year. As always, these strategies are subject to change based on any new conditions. We will maintain clear and consistent communication regarding any such changes.
1. Face coverings will be required when indoors for all students, staff, and visitors regardless of vaccination status until the Jefferson County Board of Education meets on Sept. 27th.
2. COVID-19 vaccinations are offered free of charge to any county resident over the age of 12.
3. COVID-19 testing is available free of charge for all residents, including students and staff.
4. Jefferson County Schools will maintain an enhanced cleaning and disinfect schedule to include Gen Eon misting and disinfection of high touch points and increased common area cleaning schedules.
5. In keeping with recommendations from WVDHHR, Jefferson County Schools will maintain physical distancing in schools within building limitations.
6. Contact tracing will continue for all staff and students with potential exposure.
7. Jefferson County Schools will continue to utilize tracking mechanisms such as seating charts to help keep track of any potential COVID-19 exposures.
8. The JCHD will continue to use the quarantine protocol if a positive COVID-19 exposure is confirmed. Any students or staff exposed while wearing a proper face covering or who are fully vaccinated may not be required to quarantine.
Proper masking and vaccinations are the most effective ways to prevent class and school-wide quarantine closures.
9. Large gatherings outside of the classroom will be limited. This includes all-school assemblies and field trips.* This does not affect recess or PE, which will be held with safety protocols in place. Assemblies and field trips will be reassessed at the end of the first nine-week period.
Thank you for helping keep our staff and students safe by reviewing and enacting the measures above. JCS will continue to mitigate the risks by providing safe options for families and staff. As always, we appreciate your understanding that these guidelines are based on current information and may be modified based on changes at the state, national, or local level. We will continue to keep our staff and students safe and in school... together.
*This does not include athletic trips, which are governed by the WVSSAC